After Hot Cross Buns, have the students play the following:
- Au Clair de la Lune (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orlznM6atcQ)
- Rocket Cruiser (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_K8CPMFwYQ)
- Alice the Camel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgZfzv6YNsg)
Be sure to use the following four-step process:
- Sing the song lyrics. It helps if they know the song before they play it.
- Sing and Show. Sing the names of the notes while showing where the fingers go for each one.
- Play the tune.
- When the tune becomes easy, "jazz it up" (improvise).
Take your cues from the students. Are they frustrated? If so, you're moving too fast. Are they bored? If so, you're moving too slow. Are some frustrated while others are bored? If so, that's the beauty of step 4 (above); encourage them to find their comfort level. You can also have some Sing and Show while others play.